Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ascend the Hill

A post to tell you about my new musical crush is overdue. A couple of months ago, I discovered a new-ish band called Ascend the Hill. They've got a hymns project out that is uh-mazing...and the best part is, you can download it for free!

On my first Sunday at West End Community Church in Nashville, Carter Crenshaw preached on Psalm 24. When he read "who may ascend the hill of the Lord," and linked it to the Cross, I looked at my then-boyfriend and knew we were both hooked. We had been all over Nashville and not heard preaching like this. (Carter's a brilliant exegete and an even better shepherd.) I've loved that passage of Scripture ever since. Whenever it pops up in Advent readings, I get so pumped! So the name of this band struck a chord with me (eek--am I a total cheeseball, or what?!) before I ever heard the music.

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I'm still thinking about love post-Valentine's Day. (It could be because my red and pink decorations are still up!) Anyway, this old Jewish poem-turned-hymn has been especially precious to me around this lovey-dovey time of year!

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the earth contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky

Be sure to check out this band!

No comments: